Pakistan and Afghanistan rocked by earthquake – live updates
A 7.5 magnitude earthquake struck major cities of Pakistan, including the northern areas, on Monday, leaving at least 52 dead and scores injured due to roof and building collapses.
The earthquake struck the country at 2:09pm today (Monday 26.10.2015).
Forty minutes after the first earthquake, an aftershock of 4.8 magnitude was reported in the same area. Aftershocks are expected to continue in the affected areas.
The magnitude of today’s earthquake is close to the previous earthquake of 2005, but the destruction was more widespread then due to the shallow epicentre of the earthquake.
The earthquake in 2005 was at a depth of 26 km, while today’s earthquake was at a depth of 212.5 km, according to analyst Faheem Zaman.
UPDATE: 7.5 magnitude earthquake hits part of Pakistan, over 80 dead
- Reports of over 80 deaths, 500 inured in Pakistan
- 2 Aftershocks felt in Islamabad, reports suggest more aftershocks might occur
- Following numbers can be used by earthquake affectees to contact authorities: 0519206978 and 03006337544
- Casualties reported in Swat, Bajaur Agency, Sargodha, Kasur
- Associated Press reports that at least 12 students at a girls’ school were killed in a stampede as they tried to get out of the shaking building in Afghanistan’s Takhar province